Yes- I’m talking to you! You probably have never thought about it but nothing happens without insurance. You can’t buy a house or a car, go to a grocery store or do just about anything without every component of the transaction having some kind of insurance associated with it. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for 2012, the US Gross Domestic Product for Finance and Insurance was over $1.2 trillion employing over 2 million people. We hear a lot about recent graduates not able to find good jobs and military personnel coming home to a lack of employment opportunities. Let’s face it- no-one grows up thinking they want to be an insurance agent! So – let’s analyze a few reasons to put a career in insurance on your radar:
- Recession proof– Even in a “down economy”, the requirements for insurance do not go away making the industry somewhat recession proof even when other businesses are distressed.
- Accommodates a wide range of skills– Are you detail oriented and love finding solutions for challenges? Maybe you are into Math, statistics, accounting or computers? You may find helping people, customer service or relationship building more your thing? Almost every professional skill set has a corresponding possible insurance career.
- Many carriers provide training– Depending on the type of position you are interested in, you can take classes to get the knowledge you need or many carriers provide great training. Colleges offering “Insurance Degrees” are few and far between but having any BA degree basically means you have the persistence to accomplish a goal making you “trainable.”
- Risk is always changing– The ever developing world is moving so fast that exposures that need protection are also constantly changing. You can never get bored if you make an effort to keep learning new skills and change with the times.
- Corporate America vs. small business– If you want the security or prestige associated with working for a large corporation or want to develop your Entrepreneurial spirit as a small business owner, both options can be available to you in insurance.
- Making the big bucks– As with just about any industry, certain positions are not as lucrative as others. The nice thing about insurance is that you can make a very good or even excellent living depending on your drive for success.
It’s been a great career for me so far and I’m looking forward to some new challenges as I move into a different position within the industry. I would love to see some “new blood” take advantage of all the Insurance Industry has to offer. It may not seem very glamorous, but I’ve found it to be a “tight knit” community of some really good folks! I urge you to check it out!
If you happen to be located in Southern California, love working with people and would like to make a difference in the Insurance Industry, contact West Connect Insurance Solutions. We specialize in training and mentoring Entrepreneurs who would like to build a career offering proper insurance protection for their clients. Sign up for my informational newsletter at sharongraeter.com [http://www.sharongraeter.com].
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Sharon_L_Graeter/1958674